Wednesday, April 20, 2011

No one likes a numb butt...at least I assume

Well yesterday was a crazy day. I've been experiencing these lovely things called Braxton Hicks contractions for a few weeks now and late Monday night they blossomed into full fledged let's-get-this-party-started contractions. All night they were basically saying "Braxton, who?" but I was too tired and delirious to notice. Nice, right?

By the time I managed to get ready in the morning, I was having hot flashes and couldn't seem to concentrate on anything. Needless to say I felt just a little bit off. Just a little. So I finally called my doctor's office and his nurse told me I needed to get to the delivery center of the hospital as soon as possible. Oh. I was just hoping to come in and have a friendly chat with my OB. But the hospital seems way more fun.

So after a few frantic phone calls to friends (whatever, I was totally calm) we found a couple of people to watch Parker for the day so we could go find out what. the. heck. was going on.

Super long and boring story short, they slowed and eventually stopped the party with a combination of rest, fluids and some magic pill. Now, using the phrase "magic pill" sounds pretty irresponsible. But after sleeping only an hour or two at a time for several weeks, your brain starts to turn to mush. Plus, Hunter was there to think for me so he knew what it was and all that biz.

The on call doctor also told me that I am on modified bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. This is what my brain did (simultaneously and immediately): ah, rest...wait, I have a two year old...this isn't going to work...it's going to have to work because mamma needs some rest and this baby has to bake...I still don't see how this is going to work. I can only imagine the vacant look on my face while my brain worked through this problem.

And this is where is gets really personal. So if you get uncomfortable with details of this nature, I'll see you next post. Otherwise....

So part of this deal of making sure I didn't have the baby yet were internal checks by my nurse. She had to do this twice. Then, when we were getting discharged, my nurse went over my instructions again. When she got to the part about pelvic rest (basically no hanky panky) she looked at Hunter and said "sorry". So that was pretty funny. Then Hunter responded with, "Why does everyone around here get more action with my wife than me?" Nicely done, sir. Nicely done.

So now I'm sitting as much as possible which is keeping the contractions away but it really make your butt numb. And on that note, I'll bid you adieu.

1 comment:

  1. Agh, isn't being pregnant fun?? Never a dull moment, unless you count the dull sensation in your hindquarters. Sorry things are getting interesting, but glad they were able to keep the little guy baking a bit longer. I guess the good news is it will probably be less than 6 weeks, huh? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete