Monday, June 27, 2011

The Hospital Chronicles: Part 4

I call this one "Good News Travels Fast".



I was dreading the walk back up to the pediatric wing because as my pain subsided and my brain started to take back over, I began to remember glimpses of being rolled out of there. It wasn't very pretty. I was definitely crying and I am pretty sure I was moaning in pain. Yikes. So I walk back into the unit and the nurses immediately start asking how I am doing. Embarrassing, but sweet. So I told them all about the gall stones and then walked back into our room. Shortly after that, the night shift took over and the day shift left. This made me relax because then I was just another normal mom of a normal patient and I could get my focus back on Mason.

Or so I thought....which was adorable by the way. Our night nurse walks in to introduce herself and first things first, asks how I am doing. Okay, that's a little sad but it's nice that she is concerned. I can't really be all that surprised that our day nurse told her about it because I am supposed to be providing care for Mason so I can see where they might be worried. I assured her I was fine and I would probably get my surgery that next week. She checked on Mason and left the room.

Right after that, the Nursing Assistant came in to check Mason's vital signs. With the same breath that she introduced herself, she asked how I was doing. Really? My response was something like this: "Oh my God. Did everyone hear about that? I mean, I'm okay, thank you for asking." It was about time for me to leave and let Hunter take on the night shift so I packed up and headed out. I got stopped by several people on the way out, some of whom I have no idea who they are, asking how I was doing. Apparently I was the story of the day. Strange.

I finally got to leave and pick Parker up from Michelle's. It took me a very long time to fall asleep that night because my pain felt a lot more pronounced once I was laying down and nothing else was going on. But at least I woke up pain-free by morning. When I called Hunter to get the update from the night, he told me the surgeon called. He called to ask how I was doing and to recommend a surgeon. Honestly. The entire hospital heard about that. I really wouldn't be surprised if my OB called my cell phone to check in on me and my gall stones. I kind of expect it at this point. I guess good news travels fast. Insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment