Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Hospital Chronicles: Part 2

I call this one "Crazy in a Different Kind of Way".



Obviously Mason had not been feeling very awesome due to his stomach being bloated and not being able to digest food (which also means no bowl movements which was getting painful I think). But apparently the positive diagnosis from the ultrasound chilled him out a little because on the walk from radiology to the children's hospital,  he had an impressive blow out in his stroller. I made this adorable discovery when we got to his room and I picked him up. It was everywhere. Just add that to the list of crazy.

I learned a valuable lesson that evening. Just because we had been through this before does not mean it would be the same. Once we got Mason registered, they had to insert a tube through his nose and into his little stomach to pump out all of the gook that was stuck in there. This was new. And also one of the worst things I have ever had to witness. I definitely apologized to the nurses for the moment that I had while that was going on. Thankfully, they were great and told me not to apologize because they understood.

I remembered from last time around that Parker getting his IV was one of the worst possible experiences of all time. What's adorable is that it had nothing on what was to be Mason's first IV experience. The poor kid was stuck four times before they could get it to work. It took an actual phlebotomist and his surgeon to get it going. That was an incredibly intense situation. The phlebotomist told me that if they couldn't get it on the fourth try, they were going to have to use a vein in his head. After I threw up a little in my mouth, I told her I couldn't handle that. Like at all. Not even on opposite day. So thank God they got it to work in a less nauseating way. 


Hunter got to the hospital in just enough time to witness the IV insanity. The plan after that was for him to take the night shift and me to go home and get some sleep....and relieve our friend Lauren who was keeping Parker. I think it took me three hours to actually leave because they kept doing things to Mason and asking us questions, etc. Three hours is a long time when you keep thinking you can leave in the next five minutes.


Once I got home and relieved Lauren (thank God for her), I was able to go to bed....but after I took apart the carseat and cleaned it and washed the removable parts and packed a day bag for Parker's adventures of the next day and pumped so I didn't explode and packed a bag of things I would need the next day at the hospital. I slept around four hours before I got up to shower and get ready for Mason's surgery. 


And that is how the second half of Friday went.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awful! I'm sorry you all (and Mason) had to go through this. I'm glad it's over now though.

    ReplyDelete